Solving Challenges, Sharing Stories
Piece to Peace is The Single MOM KC’s first-ever team challenge fundraiser. The main event will take place on Saturday, November 14, 2020 at Fiorella’s Event Center in Overland Park, KS. However, Teams need to register by November 1st because part of the way they are going to win the challenge will be asking for donations through crowdfunding all the way up to November 14.
Can’t Participate, But Want to Help?
Teams of four (4) will navigate to eight (8) different sponsored challenge stops where they will complete a variety of fun challenges at each stop while learning about the stories of single moms and how they find peace amid life’s journey. Join this unique, fun competition and meet at the “finish line” for a casual after party.* Register a Team!
All funds raised from this community event will go directly towards helping single moms navigating the Piece to Peace challenge in their own lives. CLICK HERE to read more about where funds raised will go.
How it works
Teams of 4 will compete in a variety of challenges spread out around Fiorella’s Event Center in Overland Park, KS. It’s kind of like, but not quite — a scavenger hunt. It’s sort of like, but not quite — CBS’s popular TV show “The Amazing Race.”
Teams will accumulate challenge points in two ways:
- Fundraising dollars raised as a team leading up to and through the end of the event. Your team fundraising page is created once your team is registered.
- Challenges completed on the day of the event. Expect challenge points to be awarded either according to time to complete a challenge or judging of the creativity to complete.
The event will culminate at an after party* where the puzzle pieces will come together and the winners will be crowned.
* We are continuously monitoring the situation relating to COVID-19. Appropriate precautions will be taken based on the latest local regulations and CDC guidelines at the time of the event. Updates or changes to the after party will be shared by The Single MOM KC if needed prior to the event.
Piece to Peace Challenge Day Agenda
12:30 PM: Team check in and verification of signed waiver forms at Fiorella’s Event Center – 9000 W 137th St, Overland Park, KS 66221.
12:50 PM: MANDATORY Pre-Challenge team meeting at Fiorella’s Event Center. Don’t Be Late! Teams must complete this before they can begin the Challenge.
1:00 to 3:30 PM: Piece to Peace Challenge.
3:30 to 5:30 PM: After Party at Fiorella’s Event Center – 9000 W 137th St, Overland Park, KS 66221.
(1) What steps are you taking to protect the health and well-being anyone involved with this event during the COVID-19 pandemic?
We are continuously monitoring the situation relating to COVID-19. Appropriate precautions will be taken based on the latest local regulations and CDC guidelines at the time of the event.
All participants and volunteers will be asked to sign COVID-19 waiver forms.
Updates or changes to the after party will be shared by The Single MOM KC if needed prior to the event.
(2) What are the Criteria for Entering the Piece to Peace Challenge?
- Only teams of 4 can participate in the challenge.
- A minimum of $200 per team is required to qualify for the challenge. The more money that your team raises for The Single MOM KC, the better your teams overall chances of winning the Piece to Peace Challenge. But don’t worry, there are also points to be awarded, fun to be had and prizes to be won for all the teams who enter the challenge.
- Your team must register on this site and commit the minimum $200 registration fee by the November 1, 2020 deadline. Funds can be contributed online, or as cash.
- Your team participants must be 21 years of age or older to participate in the challenge.
(3) How do we register for the challenge?
Get your team of four together and designate a team captain or representative to click on any of the team registration buttons, which will lead you through the online registration process. An e-mail confirmation of your registration will be sent to you as well as to the event organizers.
From there, you will asked to give us some basic information (team name, team picture, team promotional video) so we can set up your personalized team fundraising page that you will share with all of your family, friends, coworkers, and social media contacts.
(4) What is the entry fee for the race?
Your team must commit at least $200 in funds in order to participate. But, that is truly the bare minimum that we hope teams will commit to helping raise for The Single MOM KC.
What we would really love to see is every member of your team commit to raising at least $250 towards a minimum team fundraising goal of $1,000.
(5) How does the fundraising process work?
Once you complete the registration process, you will see prompts to create a team fundraising page. You can upload photos and edit text to personalize your page(s). We’ll get the page created for you and send a unique website URL that you’ll be able to share through email, text, social media posts, etc to all of your friends, family and coworkers directing them to your personal page and asking them for donations.
(6) How Do People Donate to Me or My Team?
Online donations can be made through your team’s fundraising page. Each team will have a unique URL to share with friends, family, and colleagues. Teams can also be found by searching your team name on the event portal. Major credit cards will be accepted. Plus, donors will have the option to help cover processing fees as a way to maximize their donations to The Single MOM KC.
(7) Will my donors receive a tax-deducible receipt for their donation?
Yes. Any donation made online to The Single MOM KC will receive an electronic tax receipt directly in their e-mail. This is immediate. All check and cash donations will also receive a tax receipt within a few days of confirmed receipt.
(8) What benefits are there for fundraising raising more money than the minimum?
Aside from the goodwill and impact your added donations will have to support The Single MOM KC, your team will receive 10 Challenge points for every $100 raised above and beyond the minimum $200 Challenge entry fee.
(9) Where do all the proceeds from this fundraiser go?
Proceeds from this fundraiser will benefit The Single MOM KC and go directly toward:
- Workshops, classes, and other resources to equip and educate mothers in various areas.
- Support groups, pastoral care, and inter-ministry networking for single mothers.
- Operation of our clothing boutique, Clothed with Dignity, where moms can “shop” for free.
- Family fun events for single mothers and their children.
- Leadership development, training, and practical and spiritual mentoring for single mothers.
CLICK HERE to read more about where funds go.
(10) How many challenges will be a part of the race?
We estimate about 8 to 10 challenges, depending on the number of Challenge stop sponsors and the amount of time we anticipate for travel between and completion of challenges.
(11) How much time will it take to complete this year’s Challenge?
We are estimating about 3 hours to complete the Challenge, plus another couple of hours for the after-party.
(12) Is this Challenge a physical or mental test of ability?
For the most part, you can plan on using mental skills such as puzzle-solving, fact finding, or relying on skills & talents. In addition, you will walk through the stories of various single moms to better understand the challenges they face and to learn how The Single MOM KC supports single moms across the Kansas City metro area.
(13) What kind of training would you suggest to increase my team’s chances?
Due to the mystery of the challenges, there’s little your team can do to prepare. Plan to attend and have fun! The most important preparation will be to cultivate team relationships and ensure all team members get along and agree to work together.
(14) What type of clothing would you suggest for race day?
Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Team registrants will receive T-shirts at the event, but feel free to coordinate your own uniforms to promote team spirit! Be sure to check the weather to know what will be most appropriate and comfortable for event day.
All participants and volunteers will be asked to bring a mask. Depending on local regulations and your comfort level at the time of the event, requirements will be communicated at the event.
(15) Who should I contact with other questions?
Please email email@example.com. This is our dedicated event contact address. Someone will reply to you within 24 to 48 hours.